The Strand Theatre Art Gallery 2014 Photography Contest was announced this week by Strand Art Gallery Manager Kenny Graves. Sponsored by the Hohenwald Arts Council, entries will be accepted beginning August 29, 2014 and ending September 12, 2014.
Judging: Entries will be juried by a committee chosen by the Chairperson to determine those to be exhibited by the Strand Art Gallery in the Strand Theatre. Winners will be chosen from those selected for exhibition.
Exhibit Date: Photographs will be exhibited in the Strand Theatre from October 2 through October 4, 2014. Winners will be announced at a reception at the Theatre on Thursday, October 2 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. All entrants, and their friends and families, are invited to the reception. Photos will be displayed on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 3 and 4 and they must be picked up between 4 and 6 pm on Saturday, Oct. 4.
Prizes: 14 entries, of those exhibited, will be selected to appear in the 2015 Community Calendar. The selections will not necessarily be winners in the category competition and will be selected by the Contest Chairperson based on suitability for the Community Calendar.
Ribbons will be awarded to first, second and third place winners in each category.
First place winners in each category will receive a monetary award of $25.00.
One entry from the first place winners will be selected as the grand prize winner and will receive a monetary award of $100.00.
Entry Fees: There will be no entry fee.
Eligibility: The contest is open to amateurs only. Any photographer who has received money from the sale of their artwork is ineligible. Photographers who have received money/prizes during contests/competitions are eligible.
Plant Life and Flowers
1. Eligibility must be established by completing the application.
2. Photograph(s) must have been taken by the person entering the photograph(s).
3. All entries must be framed, ready for hanging, and suitable for exhibiting in the Strand Gallery. Size will be the decision of the entrant; however, consideration should be given to the appropriateness of size to the photograph content. Ready for hanging means that the photograph frame has a wire attached from one side of the frame to the other that will allow it to be hung on a nail. NO OTHER MEANS OF HANGING WILL BE ACCEPTED and photographs not meeting this criterion will be disqualified.
Entries may be brought to the Strand Art Gallery during Gallery hours, with the entry form completed, pasted to the back of the photo, beginning August 29, 2014, and no later than 4:00 p.m., CDT, on September 12, 2013.
Click here: Strand Art Gallery Photo Contest 2014 entry form
Gallery Hours: Thursday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Entries may be mailed by entrants from outside Lewis County to the address listed on the entry form. Entries that are mailed must have arrangements made for pickup after the exhibition is concluded. If the entrant requests that entries be returned by mail or other carrier, then appropriate packaging and postage must be included with the entry.
No entries selected for exhibition will be available for pickup or return until the exhibition is concluded on October 4. They MUST be picked up between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. on October 4.
Entries not selected for exhibition should be picked up during the reception on October 2.
4. No nudes or photos with questionable content will be accepted. The decision of the Contest Chairperson will be final.
5. All entries must have available an 8 x 10 glossy copy for film entries and a CD (preferably RAW format) for digital entries. These will be requested for entries that are selected for inclusion in the Community Calendar and will not be returned.
6. All entries will be juried/judged by a panel of three judges selected by the Contest Chairperson who are knowledgeable in the field of photography. Entries will be judged on technical quality, originality, and artistic merit. Members of the Hohenwald Arts Council and their families are not eligible to participate. The decisions of the judges will be final.
7. Hohenwald Arts Council and Strand Art Gallery are not responsible for loss or damage to any entries and will not provide insurance coverage.
8. There is no limit to the number of entries one person may enter.
Fourteen photographs will be selected for the Community Calendar for 2015. The Calendar will include the months of January 2015 through February of 2016.
The Strand Art Gallery Manager or designee will solicit page sponsorships (single months) from 14 businesses or individuals in the amount of $150 per ad and 12 block ads for the back of the calendar in the amount of $50 per ad. If there is failure to sell all page sponsorships or ads, the monetary prizes offered Contest winners may be reduced accordingly as determined by the Gallery Manager.
Each advertiser will receive one free calendar. .
Each entrant whose photograph is selected for the Community Calendar will receive a calendar.
The calendar will be distributed to the general public by a method as determined by the Gallery Manager.
The Community Calendar will highlight Strand Theatre, Strand Art Gallery, and other community activities for the upcoming year.
The Gallery Manager will be responsible for coordinating the development of the Community Calendar.
For additional information contact Kenny Graves at email@example.com or 931-295-3219.