History

History of the Strand Theatre Hohenwald

Hohenwald’s Strand Theatre re-opened in 2007 with its first night performance since 1948.  Built in 1938, the Strand brought the sights and sounds of Hollywood’s Golden Age to Hohenwald.  First run showings of “Gone With The Wind” and “The Wizard of Oz” were only two of the memorable films shown on the Strand’s silver screen.

The Strand also showcased live performances by Grand Ole Opry performers, including County Music Hall of Fame comedian Rod Brasfield, who lived in Hohenwald, and country music legend, Roy Acuff.  Actors such as Ward Bond of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and western matinee regulars also made live appearances to promote their films.

 .

 .

A current goal of the Hohenwald Arts Council is to replace the marquee to its original state.

During World War II, local residents were drawn to the theatre to watch news reels, hoping to catch a glimpse of a family member.  Service men on leave also showed up at the Strand to surprise loved ones.  Former Strand operators Ernest and Carlene Pollock’s bulldog, Toby, held a reserved front row seat which he occupied at the beginnig of a picture, watched the film with the rest of the audience and then exited with the crowd.
.
.When the Strand moved to a new location in 1948, the theatre space was covered, only to be re-discovered almost 60 years later.

Toby would enjoy every show, back in the day, from his front row seat..

.In 1996, Dan Maddox, who built Nashville’s famed RCA Studio B during the formative years of Nashville’s music industry, assisted the Lewis County Historical Society in purchasing the building as part of its larger Hohenwald Discovery Center complex.  The complex includes a museum and an outdoor learning trail.

In 2006, a Leadership Lewis class took on restoration of the space as a project.  In a few short months with donated materials and labor from many businesses and volunteers in the community, the doors to the Strand re-0pened.

Small town life revolved around events at the Strand Theatre.

“Swinging at the Strand,” a big band event planned to honor American servicemen, was the inaugural event of the grand re-opening.  Servicemen and women were honored during the 2007 show and sounds of Music City Swing, a 20 piece swing band, filled the hall of the Strand, breathing life back to the corner building of 100 East Main in Hohenwald.

The Strand Theatre is operated solely by volunteers and is a program of the Hohenwald Arts Council, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
.

Prior to life as a theatre, the Strand was home to a clothing and furniture store known as the Goodman Building.  Date on the building 1903.

Today, the Strand Hohenwald serves as a music, theatrical and artistic venue for the south central Tennessee region.  From big band sounds of Music City Swing to the bluegrass twangs of Hohenwald’s own, Mike Webb (shared on occasion with the Grand Ole Opry!), the Strand is the first stop for fun in Hohenwald!
.
.
.
.
.
.

URL: http://hohenwaldstrand.com/about-us/history/